No really ... I did. 34 years old and I'd never broken a bone ... until two weeks ago. I broke the fibula in my left leg. Not only that, but I ended up needing surgery which ended up meaning two screws and a plate as well. Yep - I've become the bionic woman.
I think the strangest and most difficult thing for me is having to be utterly reliant on other people for even the most simple things. The first few days I couldn't even wash my hair by myself. I couldn't go upstairs (so I slept in a recliner in our living room ... the love of my life slept on a mattress on the floor beside me!). I couldn't get a drink, couldn't make lunch, couldn't even get a book to read. Utterly reliant. And sitting here, I came to the realization that it takes a great deal of humility to allow others to serve you.
As a culture, we are so focused on independence. I teach kindergarten and even at that early age we work to teach them how to become more independent - hang up their backpacks, put on their shoes, hand in notices.... And yet, when crisis occurs, it is lovely to know that we are able to go back in time. Back to a time of neighbours lending a hand. Back to a time of casseroles dropped off in covered dishes. Back to a time of the community rallying around to help. Now granted, I'm not expecting anyone to show up and build me a barn but it's so reassuring to know that when something happens, people step up. Our dear friends, Curtis and Erin made sure that we had dinners for the entire first week ... even going so far as to bring over dinner on Friday night ... then Erin and I watched a movie while the boys went out for a pint ... or two... ;-) My lovely staff sent me the most incredible floral arrangement. People have called, emailed, "facebooked" and dropped by. I have never felt so supported.
My family has been amazing. My son brought his Play Station and TV into my room so that I would have something to do during the day. He comes in and spends time with me when I'm sure he'd rather be out with his friends. My daughter brings me books, colouring, makes me peanut butter sandwiches and drinks. On Saturday night, she even "made dinner!!!" And my husband??? ... well, he's amazing and does everything and more.
So despite the fact that our world may seem somewhat self-centered and inward-facing the majority of time, I must say I am so comforted to realize that we can go back. Back to those old values of community, support and good old-fashioned friendship. Back to caring for those around us and looking out for their well-being. Back to demonstrating a servant's heart, like Jesus calls us to do.
2 comments:
Hey Nic! I'm so glad you're okay! Isn't amazing how life can change in an instant. Just this morning, I fell in parking lot at work. The result was just some scraped up knees and hands, but you never know.
Have you ever read any books by Joni Eareckson Tada? Her book Joni tells the story of her accident and coming to terms with her new life as a quadraplegic. Really powerful.
Maybe you'd like to read it during all your new free time. :-) I have another book of hers - A Step Further. If you were intersted in that one, I could sent it to you. It is also very, very good.
Hugs!
Tracy
I loved this, Nicky. I'm glad you're okay and that your family and friends locally are there helping you. I wish I wasn't so far away. ((hugs))
Tracy - I remember watching a movie or something about Toni when I was younger, but I didn't read her books. I'll have to read those books. Did you put them on Goodreads?
Post a Comment